taxes

Kelley Walker kelley at interpactinc.com
Wed Apr 11 22:47:05 PDT 2001

why is it that no one ever makes the argument that there is no need for taxes under marxism, at least not at current rates? on the model of anarcho-marxism, local control, and workplace democracy (say an improved parecon model) i can't see any reason why we need more than the barest bones of a national state and just the slightest amount of tweaking supply and demand to make sure that there were people doing the "dirty" work.

so, i guess i'm asking, explain why we need taxes under capitalism? (taxes at any significant level), particularly given the premises marx seemed to be working with re human nature, the character of non-alienated labor, etc.

kelley