Scarcity

Kelley Walker kelley at interpactinc.com
Thu Apr 12 11:53:57 PDT 2001

At 01:16 PM 4/12/01 -0500, Forstater, Mathew wrote:
>From: Kelley Walker
>
> >can't have much of a mass revo in a world in which language is extremely
> >localized and in which knowledge is communicated via oral tradition.
>
>and we probably wouldnt need one?

excuse me?

>Brad thinks one-word replies (like "Illiteracy") to the suggestion that
>there are some positive social values in traditional societies are
>sufficient, implying that lack of written literature is proof of some
>larger, general ignorance.

excuse me? i think a LOT of assumptions when into the word illiteracy there.

>I was trying to remind that this is not the case--not promoting book
>burning or expressing the opinion we would be better off without writing.

and clearly, a LOT of assumptions have been plopped into my comment too! while i've also said i like the oral fixation satisfied when words are placed in my mouth, but this doesn't quite do it for me matt.

klew: eggs benedict anderson klew: what is different about the socalled proletariat revo?

do