pre-capitalist sex

James Heartfield Jim at heartfield.demon.co.uk
Fri Apr 13 01:45:26 PDT 2001

In message <3AD5ECE9.AB62676 at erols.com>, Christopher Rhoades Dÿkema <crdbronx at erols.com> writes
>Meanwhile the bourgeoisies evolved an extreme of male dominance, with extreme
>idealization of femininity in the late bourgeois family. Conventional historical
>understanding, such as most of us picked up in school, sees this as the
>prevailing
>pattern of gender relations in most or all of the past. In fact, pre-modern
>European
>societies had much more complex relations between men and women, with, as
>concomitants, much less intense homophobia, less stringent marriage
>institutions,
>much less extensive and effective Christian ideological hegemony.

That seems a bit one-sided to me. I think it is fair to say that the sexual division of labour pre-capitalism, though stultifying, is not oppressive, in that neither sex had rights or autonomy. The initial sexual division of labour under capitalism, by contrast was profoundly oppressive, taking a natural distinction and giving it a new content of social oppression.

On the other hand, recent developments see the formal oppression of women dismantled (universal suffrage, property rights, equal pay legislation etc.); and furthermore, the most significant social change in the twentieth century has to be the improvement of women's social position. I used to be of the opinion that women's equality was unattainable under capitalism. But it seems to me that women have a better social standing under capitalism - at least in the developed world - than they did under pre-capitalist social relations.

As to homosexuality, as much as its oppression was an event of capitalism, so too has been its possibility and its liberation. There may have been same-sex relations before capitalism, but there was not such a thing as a homosexual identity. (see Ken Plummer, Greek Homosexuality)

-- James Heartfield