pre-capitalist sex

Christopher Rhoades Dÿkema crdbronx at erols.com
Fri Apr 13 13:56:20 PDT 2001

I agree actually. The positive developments came later than the ones I described as "an extreme of male dominance, with extreme idealization of femininity in the late bourgeois family.." Nineteenth century bourgeois society, as you know, had its own internal contradictions, and some among them led to what you describe. At the same time, much of the bourgeois sexual values that reached their zenith a bit more than a hundred years ago are still formally normative, though honored in the breach in practice. Still, they have legal force, as in the legal stigmatization of sexual relationships outside of legal matrimony. The religious right thrives on propagandizing around this, and there are liberals, and ex-liberals, like Alan Wolfe, the communitarians, etc., who want to enforce marriage as a norm, despite its otiosity. That's why I think its' important to understand the historically limited character of bourgeois family life and christianity as a mass -- not medievally aristocratic -- phenomenon. Christopher Rhoades Dÿkema