Wolfe and Qualitative Research

Kelley Walker kelley at interpactinc.com
Mon Apr 16 15:40:21 PDT 2001

At 05:32 PM 4/16/01 -0400, Christopher Rhoades Dÿkema wrote:
>You are more of a researcher than I am so probably have a better of what a
>"typical methods chapter" ought to include than I do. Wolfe's first chapter,
>after a discussion of general issues, does present data as to the
>locations where
>his interviews took place, and the broad demographic characteristics of the
>subjects. However, as Doug's review points out, he is vague about his
>interview
>protocol, what he asked how he formulated his and his assistants'
>approach. ONe
>of them, one Maria Poarch, seems to have lived for periods of time in the
>communities.

arlie hochschild's work is cited here frequently as good work. she interviewed far less than wolfe. she interviewed about 3 black couples out about 60 couples. and yet, she makes the same sort of claims, generalizing her findings to all married couples. funny, but we buy her arguments. she used the same methods, somewhat different methodology and, obviously, a different theoretical orientation.

kristen luker's study on abortion attitudes among conservative women... no different. it has been mentioned here frequently. Jay MacLeod's Ain't No Makin It has become a classic in sociology intro and social problems courses. all of these books interview even smaller groups of people.

none of these books provide a "protocol" that y'all seem to want. that's because it isn't typical to do that. it's typical to do pretty much what Wolfe does. occ. some do, and they're mainly dissertations turned into books.

kelley