Wolfe and Qualitative Research

Christopher Rhoades Dÿkema crdbronx at erols.com
Mon Apr 16 17:31:27 PDT 2001

Problem is, I don't know what he asked, or what his approach was to interviewing. I'm not a researcher, but I interview people all the time at work, and I know that's important. However, touching on that issue was mostly in response to your earlier question. What I find questionable about Wolfe is that he seems to use his subjects as a sort of cheering section for his own punitive views about public morality and attitudes towards poor people. This is antithetical to what you describe as the essence of ethnographic research. I've read Luker's books, and she seems to make a clearer distinction. So too Mary Waters on ethnicity, who I read some years ago when one of my interns had to read it for a course. Maybe you know her. Christopher Rhoades Dÿkema