> Scaife 'n' Snitch (and the Hitch)

Rakesh Narpat Bhandari rakeshb at Stanford.EDU
Tue Apr 17 11:28:55 PDT 2001

>Rakesh:
>>It is horrifically ironic that after this active disregard for
>>African life, so far removed from any area of strategic interest,
>>Clinton wanted to be remembered as the president who healed race
>>relations. It does not follow however that one should have supported
>>Nader since his constant carping against international institutions
>>and world bodies hardly gives confidence that he (or his Secty of
>>State Mike Dolan or UN representative Lori Wallach) would have not
>>also obstructed any UN action.
>

>Maybe you're right, but with the Democratic Party we have a track
>record. If Nader had been allowed into the Presidential debates,
>pehaps he could have answered the question that was put to candidate
>Bush on the subject so we wouldn't have to guess. Somehow I doubt
>that a President Nader would veto UN actions intended to prevent another
>Rwandan-type genocide.
>
>Peter

What would Secty of State Dolan recommend? You have to judge to Nader by whom he surrounds himself with (even Bhagwati likes Nader himself according to Doug). Nader has already said in no uncertain terms that he opposes the WTO which like the UN allows one nation one vote since it represents an infringement on American sovereignty by allowing small dictatorships to count as much as the US (so does Nader want US trade policy to be disciplined by global democracy--of course not). This is easily interpreted--as it was meant to be--as an expression of the desire for isolationist withdrawal from international institutions and bodies for the purposes of carrying out an American first trade policy.

Moreover, did Nader ever say anything about US obstructionism against UN action in Rwanda? Not that I remember. And how could he have made much of it--that would have forced him to lay out a well thought out position about how the US is to actually cooperate with the rest of the world, thereby alienating the anti globalization simpletons whom he hopes will one day make him the Chief Executive of the United States. Or perhaps Nader did not want to lose support by implying that he would sacrifice any number of American lives even for the prevention of a genocide? So Nader seems hardly different than Clinton here.

And did Hitchens ever say this is why he could not re-elect a Democrat (yes Clinton killed Rector but Bush has been killing people who were mentally arrested long before they committed crimes)? Rwanda was not the reason I remember he gave (or at least he seemed no more concerned about this than Clinton lying about his love of cigars).

At any rate, let's remember the depths of inhumanity to which our political culture can sink:

OCTOBER 12, 2000

NON-DEBATE AMONG CANDIDATES MAKES PUBLIC BEG FOR THIRD-PARTY

CANDIDATES

Moderator: "Is there any difference?"

Gore: "I haven't heard a big difference right in the last few exchangesŠ"

Bush: "Well, I think it's hard to tell." *

WASHINGTON, DC. Oct. 12 - The code phrase for the second Presidential debate was "I agree."

Twelve times during the debate George W. Bush and Albert Gore used a variant of the phrase "I agree with you", and 28 more

times they used other words to let the national television audience know they were in agreement on everything from foreign policy

to trigger locks to the need for gas drilling in pristine areas of Alaska.

With that many "agreements," was it a debate? Bush obviously worried about that, mentioning during their agreement on a

hands-off approach to the genocide in Rwanda that "it seems like we're having a great love fest right now."

Rakesh