For Rakesh (Cassirer, Marx)

Christopher Rhoades Dÿkema crdbronx at erols.com
Wed Apr 18 09:30:58 PDT 2001

My thought, from my slighter acquaintance with Cassirer, is that his work on mythic thought is a good way to think about the dominant form of thinking in pre-modern culture, that is, in the culture that preceded the dominance of the market and all that went with it. This would include peasant cultures that persisted, (still persist in a few spots) until well into the twentieth century. These were pre-literate (as in Walter Ong) and mythopoeic. The supernatural outlook of such cultures was magical, but also instrumental, so it was a precursor both of a scientific outlook and also, of patriarchal monotheism, (Christianity, predominantly, in Europe). The earlier part of this process shows up in Aron Gurevich's work.

Since Marx was interested primarily in the consequences of modernity, i.e., of the growth of the market, alienation, he was looking at another, later component of the development of mass consciousness, and, you're right, he does have a real sense of work and labor, in contrast to Cassirer's mandarin quality. But I do see ways in which both can illuminate.

Hope this is coherent.

Christopher Rhoades Dÿkema