the bull is back

Archer.Todd at ic.gc.ca Archer.Todd at ic.gc.ca
Tue Apr 24 05:47:17 PDT 2001

Bob says

What, you some kinda commie or something????

Oh, just a kinder-commie. I started fairly recently on actually reading some Marx et al.

and says:

Seriously, I'm of the belief that one can't drop out completely from the prevailing system, also, I'm self-employed, and have no pension coming except what I generate.

Mmm, sorry to hear about the latter; I have a friend of mine who is trying to build his own business too, and he's always getting fucked by someone or something (not mentioning his not having a pension either). As for the former, it's admittedly difficult to drop out of a system which has so much control over one's life, but that's why political changes have to come first. If a real leftie got into presidential power and was backed by enough of your polity, things that could aid you in getting "weaned off" playing the stocks for extra cash could be implemented (e.g. strong social security, work-place legislation, minimum wage laws, etc.). Depending on the theory behind the actions, I would guess that there could be changes made that could give the self-employed a boost too (so long as it didn't involve exploitation of others).

And said

Already own it! And, I must confess, some of it went sailing over my head. However, am I correct in saying that the primary mission of the Fed/Wall St. is to make the world safe for bond traders?

Tangently, I think so; but, I would suspect that Doug was mainly trying to disabuse "the public" of the fiction that the Fed/Wall Street is there for everyone's "benefit."

Todd