the bull is back

Bob Morris bobmorris at mediaone.net
Tue Apr 24 22:19:13 PDT 2001

>Mmm, sorry to hear about the latter; I have a friend of mine who is trying
to build his own business too

I've been self-employed for seventeen years. Database applications, and lately, web design and promo. Can't remember what a 9-5 job is like anymore. However, my pension fund is up to me.

>If a real leftie got into presidential power and was backed by
enough of your polity, things that could aid you in getting "weaned off" playing the stocks for extra cash

But I *like* trading stocks. It's fun! Plus, I maintain that, say, buying an call option on El Paso Energy harms nary a worker nor does it help the company.

One thing the Net has done is open up stock trading for everyone. Ten years ago, getting quotes was difficult, as was trading. Now it's easy. Maybe too easy. I've watched several friends just get hosed the past year, making stupendously dumb moves, over and over again, cheerfully ignoring my attempts at advice.

Is all of this healthy long run? Is it a bubble that will pop, like Japan did?