Walden Bello on Naomi Klein

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue Apr 24 11:25:09 PDT 2001

John Gulick wrote:

>Ian Murray posted the following book review by Walden Bello:
>
>>NO LOGO: A BRILLIANT BUT FLAWED PORTRAIT OF
>>CONTEMPORARY CAPITALISM
>
>I sez:
>
>_Great_ review. Thanks for posting it. Where did it originally
>appear ? In essence what Bello is critiquing Klein for is Department
>II (or is that Department I, I get them confused) fetishism. The
>critics of the culture industry end up, in a way, mirroring its
>ideology by ignoring the realm of capital goods.

Yes and no. No Logo and many in the movements that cite it are using the brand name against itself - defetishizing the commodity by exposing its conditions of production. That makes it hard to organize against generic goods, but compared to some of the consumption-oriented cult stud radicalism of the past, this is a kind of progress, no?

Doug