QUEBEC CRACKPOTS

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Wed Apr 25 06:33:04 PDT 2001

Max Sawicky wrote:

> I've mellowed in old age. I don't doubt it.
> I've only known one (that I know about), and
> he is not a jerk.
> I was talking only about the DoR. The other
> W-men achievements are another matter.

I hesitated a long time before posting trying to come up with a more precise term than "jerk" -- I still don't have the term. Personally, many or most of the leading weather people were highly agreeable. But politically they were textbook illustrations of Lenin's remark about the commonplace occurence of petty bourgeois youth driven mad by the horrors of imperialism. I seldom use the term "petty bourgeois," which has mostly lost its meaning, being used interchangeably with the null term, "middle class." But the weather people I knew did mostly come from petty producer or independent professional backgrounds, hence the term is accurate here. The young woman who broke up the local SDS was the daughter of a local paint store business. I had recruited her to SDS, and I paid her way to a conference in Texas -- she rode down with a bunch of Chicago weather people. It was all down hill from there. The last time I saw her a couple years later she was on her way through town, and was consulting an astrology guide to help her choose her bus route. There were many ways to be a casualty of the Vietnam War.

Carrol