circles of proletarians muse over the latest from the RCP!

Daniel Davies d_squared_2002 at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Apr 25 10:25:47 PDT 2001

--- Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> wrote: > [reformatted to remove hideous line breaks - otherwise pure &
> intact
> revolutionary prose product!]

I have three comments on this program -- perhaps you would be good enough to pass them on to the RCP, as I try to avoid that sort of person out of bitter experience of their persistence with one's address.

1. If they persist in calling their philosophy "Marxism-Leninism-Maoism", then they shouldn't abbreviate it to "MLM", as they will be mistaken for people pushing Multi-Level Marketing schemes. In other words, people will assume they are Amway, who are if anything less popular than Lenin.

2. The claims need to be beefed up a bit -- Carl is the PR professional, not me, but to my untrained ears, claiming that you have "the most scientific, far-reaching, and practical Maoist programme for revolution in the U.S" is just asking for people to sarcastically inquire exactly what the competition is like.

3. If you read the press release out loud in a funny voice, and drop the letter "r" from "Draft Programme" (ie say "How right it is that the new Daft Programme will make its appearance on May 1st! ", "The Daft Programme will be circulating at a time when there are new upsurges" and my favourite "For more than a year, work on this Daft-wrangling over political issues, research, and the writing of it-has been the focus of intense efforts" then it is pretty funny. I'm not saying this as a warning, just suggesting that it might be quite good fun as an irreverent skit at the RCP Christmas dinner, if they have such things.

Happy not to help

dd

===== ... in countries which do not enjoy Mediterranean sunshine idleness is more difficult, and a great public propaganda will be required to inaugurate it. -- Bertrand Russell