UAW losses in 2000

LeoCasey at aol.com LeoCasey at aol.com
Fri Apr 27 15:06:49 PDT 2001

Sorry, guys, but the premise smuggled into the argument doesn't work. It has been a while since the UAW was just, or even primarily, an union of autoworkers. The joke in the labor movement, after the UAW took in the writers' union, was that it stood for the "Union of All Workers." Graduate assistants and clericals are the growth sector for the UAW.

There is really not much of an unorganized auto industry in the US, leaving out small time parts manufacturers. All of the major auto manufacturers are union. Decline in the numbers of autoworkers relates to outsourcing of production outside of the US, and to capital intensive, technology/productivity measures inside US auto manufacturing. The problem the UAW faces are a lot more complicated than "organizing the unorganized" in the auto industry, and require a lot more to solve them than organizing zeal. Ask the much diminished West Coast longshore union, about as militant, leftwing and class-identified union as the US has had for the last 50 years, what one does in the face of such 'technological change.'

Hey, I know class collaborationist union leaders livinbg high on the hog makes for a good story line, but it doesn't provide an analysis for how to revive American unionism.

> I know of one big company that could still use a union :-) They should >
tie all pay scales of all officers to membership growth and if
> membership shrinks during their
> time in office, they can't run for reelection.

Ian

Leo Casey United Federation of Teachers 260 Park Avenue South New York, New York 10010-7272 (212-598-6869)

Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never has, and it never will. If there is no struggle, there is no progress. Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet deprecate agitation are men who want crops without plowing the ground. They want rain without thunder and lightning. They want the ocean without the awful roar of its waters. -- Frederick Douglass --