Punishment as pleasure?

s-t-t at juno.com s-t-t at juno.com
Fri Apr 27 16:20:58 PDT 2001

Justin Schwartz writes:

> I agree that we Americans are retributivist and that overpunishment
> is currently politically popular. But I don't see any necessity to
this. I
> think it is a feature of a number of peculiar things about American
> society--our Puritan heritage, economic uncertainty, racism, etc.

Could it also be jealousy? Not that I want to sound nuts, but I've often wondered if the most vociferous law & order vultures' outrage stems from the fact that a criminal can commit acts they resent being denied the freedom to engage in. And to rationalize this they use the cry of "eye for eye" and righteousness to veil their own sadism. Any thoughts?

-- Shane

________________________________________________________________ GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO! Juno offers FREE or PREMIUM Internet access for less! Join Juno today! For your FREE software, visit: http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.