Punishment as pleasure?

Christopher Rhoades Dÿkema crdbronx at erols.com
Sat Apr 28 17:35:12 PDT 2001

Very good. One kind of analysis of this kind of psychological phenomenon calls it "ressentiment." There is another in Lynn Chancer's SADOMASOCHISM IN EVERYDAY LIFE: THE DYNAMICS OF POWER AND POWERLESSNESS, a good book that could have done with better editing. Sadomasochism is a key mass-psychological characteristic of christianity, which, as we know is more prevalent in the United States than in other advanced countries. This is part of the psychological component of American exceptionalism.

Christopher Rhoades Dÿkema