Rule Britannia ( was Re: smash windows, get noticed)

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Sat Apr 28 20:50:02 PDT 2001

On Sat, 28 Apr 2001, Michael Perelman wrote:

> I was not suggesting that non-violence would make the oppressor
> refrain from violence at all times. It depends on the oppressor's
> stomach for violence. The Israelis do not seem like they would be
> affected much by non-violent protests -- although there are signs that
> many young people are not particularly enthusiastic about military
> service.

I think in fact the Israelis would be very much affected by non-violence on a Gandhian scale. As would their patrons, the US. National occupation is the perfect venue for it -- there are essential laws that can be nullified simply by walking forward or sitting put and which the occupier cannot allow be nullified. And theoretically, human bombers have within them the will to march into blows or gunfire.

But it is not in the cards. And it's not the sort of thing you can recommend from the outside, i.e, "I think it would be very effective if you got yourself killed breaking an unjust law without lifting a finger to strike back."

Michael