The Coming Anarchy

Bob Morris bobmorris at mediaone.net
Sun Apr 29 17:56:08 PDT 2001

>>West as, basically, being clueless as what to do to help, and Western help
as often hurting far more than helping.

>This assumes the "West's" policies are designed to help, and that the
selection of policies which have the contrary effect is due only to miscalculation.

True enough, however my real point here is Robert Kaplan's main thesis - that environmental degradation, resource scarcity, and ethnic differences are, in many parts of the world, leading to irreversible downward spirals, and that the resultant anarchy will have worldwide impact and will affect all of us.

The current issue of The Atlantic has an article by Jeffrey Taylor (an American living in Moscow, married to a Russian) titled "Russia is Finished. The unstoppable descent into social catastrophe and strategic irrelevance" which gives a good example of Kaplan's thesis.