Ethical foundations of the left

Justin Schwartz jkschw at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 1 08:28:15 PDT 2001

>>I would say your mom has an a priori notion in her head linking
>>indissolubly motherhood
>

>how did it get there? (justin wanted to call this an intuition like the one
>he has that freedom is better than slavery. i disagree. we don't have
>mysterious intuitions. they come from somewhere. even when our "intuitions"
>are counter to hegemonic assumptions)

You think I would disagree with this? Maybe the word "intuition" is misleading, and I wouldn't use it because it leads to this misunderstanding, but as I said, as a first approximation, an intuition is just something we want to say even in the face of possible criticism and doubt. So, I have in intuition that "your sister" is no kind of a mother; I haven't thought through why, but it would take you a lot of work to persuade me that I'm wrong. in fact, I don't think you could do it. Of course my wanting to say that has a sociological explanation. "Where do correct ideas come from? Are they innate in the mind? Do they fall from the sky? No. they come from class struggle." (An axiom from my disreputable past.)

--jks