Ethical foundations of the left

Kelley kwalker2 at gte.net
Wed Aug 1 10:07:47 PDT 2001

At 03:28 PM 8/1/01 +0000, Justin Schwartz wrote:

>You think I would disagree with this? Maybe the word "intuition" is
>misleading, and I wouldn't use it because it leads to this
>misunderstanding, but as I said, as a first approximation, an intuition is
>just something we want to say even in the face of possible criticism and
>doubt. So, I have in intuition that "your sister" is no kind of a mother;
>I haven't thought through why, but it would take you a lot of work to
>persuade me that I'm wrong. in fact, I don't think you could do it. Of
>course my wanting to say that has a sociological explanation. "Where do
>correct ideas come from? Are they innate in the mind? Do they fall from
>the sky? No. they come from class struggle." (An axiom from my
>disreputable past.)
>
>--jks

so, you think my sister is no kind of mother because she's allowed her desire for money to influence her behavior in terms of her choices to marry a millionaire and in her desire to do so by giving up her kids at his demand, right? in general, you agree that mothers (and probably fathers) and familial relations in general shouldn't be ordered by money, right?

kelley