Ethical foundations of the left

Ken Hanly khanly at mb.sympatico.ca
Wed Aug 1 11:48:15 PDT 2001

Hmmm...Wouldn't your argument here also apply to Rawls' attempts to arrive at principles of justice through presupposing an original position. Indeed many see Rawls as carring on in a Kantian tradition souped up with rational choice stuff etc. I agree with your criticism by the way. In fact I have difficulty seeing how Habermas is particularly Marxian in his approach to ethics. We live in a class divided society and the moral views people have will be influenced by their class and so forth.

Anyway my point is that if it is wrong for Habermas to postulate an ideal that would not motivate then it would be wrong for Rawls to do so as well. Does this mean you also reject Rawl's original position? And to run your favorite modus tollens. If it is not wrong for Rawls it can hardly be wrong for Habermas.

I find the emphasis upon process and formal aspects of normative discourse odd. Is this all tied to Kohlberg's "empirical" studies of stages of moral development? If you buy into that than you are claiming that some of the greatest moral philosophers are stuck at a lower stage of development since many were ethical egoists.

I have always thought of ethics as being grounded in the idea that humans have certain requirements to flourish. THere is such a thing as the welfare and illfare of humans. What advances our welfare we call good, what does not, bad. Most of us have an interest in the welfare of others as well as our own, or even if we dont the welfare of others is often a condition of our own. This gives us the motivation and reasons to be moral. But it is also true that our views on how the welfare and illfare of humans is to be advanced will be considerably influenced by our class and other relationships to society at large.

Cheers, Ken Hanly

----- Original Message ----- From: Justin Schwartz <jkschw at hotmail.com> To: <lbo-talk at lists.panix.com> Sent: Tuesday, July 31, 2001 12:29 PM Subject: Re: Ethical foundations of the left