types of nationalism

joanna bujes joanna.bujes at ebay.sun.com
Wed Aug 1 15:28:28 PDT 2001

At 06:11 PM 08/01/2001 -0400, you wrote:
>yes and it was 'foreign' domination that inspired the
>creation of the state in the first place, in the form
>of suppression -- unto extermination -- of fundamental
>rights of self-determination for European jewry.

No. Actually, I would argue that a large part of what inspired the need for a "Jewish state" was precisely the granting of civil rights to the jews throughout Europe following th 1789, 1848, and 1917 revolutions. The prospect of jewish assimilation was as threatening to some as, later, the threat of jewish annihilation was to others.

My jewish ancestors actually did just fine (in Romania) because they were very rich. They were even granted the right to own property. They emigrated--some to Israel, some to the US, in the sixties.

Joanna B.