Where is "Nation"? / "Anti-Globalization" movement

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Thu Aug 2 05:12:57 PDT 2001

Kevin Robert Dean wrote:

>I may have told this little anectode to LBO before, but I remember watching
>an interview on the Canadian Broadcasting Channel with Canadian media mougel
>Conrad Black. In addition to a home in Canada he has a home in the UK and a
>few other places. The interviewer asked Mr. Black if he considers Canada
>his home, and he replied "No"
>
>Now a rich man like Black has the luxury of choosing what he considers his
>home or nation, but the majority of people do not and have to be concerned
>with the conditions in their own locality and nation and tend to feel that
>other localities and nations are a threat to their 'way of life'.
>
>While this position may be shown to be false, probably the only thing I
>disagree with about the Old Man is the line Doug brought up about having no
>homeland. The Capitalists have no homeland as they can go set up business
>anywhere in the world and leave after they drained the soul of wherever it
>was they landed and the workers need to bear the burden of the results in
>their own homeland. They don't have the luxury to pick up and move as they
>please.

But millions of workers move all over the world. Places like New York, London, Sydney, and Kuala Lumpur are full of migrants, some there legally, some not. Most European, Japanese, and American capitalists stay in their homelands or places much like them - and generally require the protection of a national government to enforce contracts, guarantee money, and bail them out when they get in trouble.

Doug