Mexican trucks

Max Sawicky sawicky at bellatlantic.net
Thu Aug 2 14:10:46 PDT 2001

On reconciling different working class interests, sure we should look for ways to create such solidarity. I don't have any great ideas in my pocket, but a Mexican counterpart to the IBT, in alliance with the IBT, is a obvious goal.

On the latter, I would disagree that opposition to Mexican trucks reflects U.S. corporate interests. Capital is anti-protectionist, for the most part. In this case, U.S. 'nationalism' is founded on response to labor and to popular concerns.

mbs

CB: . . . But I can't help thinking that there is another critical goal of any and all labor movements - proletarian internationalism - which impinges this situation too. I don't have a good solution for the conflict between the two principles here, but don't we have to strive for a plan that addresses both of these labor concerns ? Don't we have to be concerned about bending the stick to the nationalist side , especially since the U.S.is a big power nation relative to Mexico ( see thread on nationalism / internationalism )