Mexican trucks

Thu Aug 2 13:11:57 PDT 2001

>>> sawicky at bellatlantic.net 08/02/01 03:44PM >>>

Safety, like other regulatory matters, is a legitimate concern that can be used or abused. I have no idea which is the case in this matter.

But as far as I am concerned, any opportunity to block the use of low-wage/non-union labor in a higher-wage/unionized market is a worthwhile endeavor of any labor movement. That's what workers do, and it is what they should do.

CB: This assertion is very true. But I can't help thinking that there is another critical goal of any and all labor movements - proletarian internationalism - which impinges this situation too. I don't have a good solution for the conflict between the two principles here, but don't we have to strive for a plan that addresses both of these labor concerns ? Don't we have to be concerned about bending the stick to the nationalist side , especially since the U.S.is a big power nation relative to Mexico ( see thread on nationalism / internationalism )