lbo-talk-digest V1 #4687

James Heartfield Jim at heartfield.demon.co.uk
Fri Aug 3 01:37:53 PDT 2001

In message <ALECKMBMCHBPNIIJBLGJIEOGCMAA.erikempson at wanadoo.fr>, Erik Empson <erikempson at wanadoo.fr> writes
>I wasn't suggesting for a moment that people shouldn't be free to move
>around. What I was problematising was calling an act of necessity a free
>choice, and something that was the basis of a politics or ethics of
>emancipation. In many cases immigration is just that, an act of economic
>need, changing ones own circumstances, skills and location in order to fit
>in with whatever industries and locations capital finds as most conducive to
>accumulation.

I agree with Eric that there is a difference between defending the *right* of workers (and all people) to move freely across borders, and embracing it as a positive condition.

I agree with him that the conditions of migration are generally forms of economic coercion.

But it might still be the case that the international disciplining of labour by the capitalist class might - for all the wrong reasons - have a positive effect. I mean of course that tendency that Marx identified for the ruling class to create its own opposition in drawing working people together, and homogenising their experience.

On an empirical note, though, the tendency is not solely for workers to migrate to the developed North, but in terms of the growth of the industrial working class, for new points of production to be created in the developing world, judging by the labour statistics. (see my article in the New Zealand magazine Revolution, with P Ray and J Woudhuysen).

-- James Heartfield