Farrakhan, was Re: Anti-Zionism Is Racism

Jim Farmelant farmelantj at juno.com
Sun Aug 5 09:16:29 PDT 2001

Of course in this whole discussion, Carrol's point as I understand it, is the necessity for a materialist understanding of racism, as opposed to the idealist conceptions of it that have been batted around here and in other forums. Hence, Carrol's insistence that it meaningless to talk of racism or to label people as racists outside the context of actual social relations of oppression.

Hence, when in an earlier post you had written:

"Racism is an ideology that elevates the social construction of

racial difference to a primary place in human relations. It can be

used to rationalize the oppression of certain groups, but can exist

in oppressed groups in response to

the oppressors. Racism, as an ideology, is an idea, not an act.

Racism + power = racial oppression"

you were I think quite rightly taken to task by Carrol for taking a seemingly idealist appoach to the problem.

Jim F.

________________________________________________________________ GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO! Juno offers FREE or PREMIUM Internet access for less! Join Juno today! For your FREE software, visit: http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.