Oz & oppression

Joanna Sheldon cjs10 at cornell.edu
Sun Aug 5 18:17:49 PDT 2001

>You shouldn't overlook them. It was a joke, a serious joke.
>
>For an American leftist in the habit of thinking this place the most
>brutal and racist on earth, it was quite enlightening to hear tales of
>Australian history - and contemporary tales of Australian treatment of
>immigrants and refugees. There's something to be said for professed U.S.
>hospitality to immigration, even if it's bullshit a lot of the time; at
>least there's something to appeal to, some standard to use to indict
>actual behavior.

Sorry, Doug, maybe your humour's too subtle for me.

As for the States. Racism and brutality we have, and to spare, but looking around, there are other places that do it better. Hell, even sweet lil old Australia didn't give Aborigines the vote until 1967 (which, however, doesn't prove that Ozzies are more racist than we are); and we Yanks don't generally go for torturing our own citizens like some folks do (though we're happy enough to teach other governments how to torture theirs, and State-sanctioned murder's okay at home).

But, looking around, I'd say what we've brought to a high art is a certain killing mix of greed and ignorance. The rest of the world -- come hell or, apparently, high water -- is just there to bend over and be grateful for our greenbacks. We're at the top of the heap right now but instead of considering it a serious responsibility we flaunt it. I think that's what really pisses people off about Amerika. Not without reason. When you consider the likely effects of our greed and our ignorance on the rest of the world's citizens, these days, our racism and brutality almost pale by comparison.

====

Political Science

No one likes us -- I don't know why We may not be perfect, but heaven knows we try But all around even our old friends put us down Let's drop the big one and see what happens

We give them money -- But are they grateful? No, they're spiteful and they're hateful They don't respect us -- so let's surprise them We'll drop the big one and pulverize them

Asia's crowded and Europe's too old Africa is far too hot And Canada's too cold And South America stole our name Let's drop the big one There'll be no one left to blame us

We'll save Australia Don't wanna hurt no kangaroo We'll build an All American amusement park there They got surfin too

Boom goes London and boom Paree More room for you and more room for me And every city the whole world round Will just be another American town Oh how peaceful it will be We'll set everybody free You'll wear a Japanese kimono And there'll be Italian shoes for me

They all hate us anyhow So let's drop the big one now Let's drop the big one now.

--Randy Newman

====

cheers, Joanna