Types of nationalism

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Sun Aug 5 21:11:48 PDT 2001

On Wed, 1 Aug 2001, Max Sawicky wrote:

> Which raises the interesting question, was the need for
> self-determination in the form of a 'homeland' in Palestine sufficient
> justification for Zionists to proceed in alliance w/the U.S. &
> England?

IMHO, no. The Jews today would be better off had there never been a Balfour declaration. The Jewish population of the US and the rest of the world would now simply be increased by half. We would be much more secular and cosmopolitan. And we would still be distributed throughout the Middle East.

Of course, it's just a thought experiment. There's no guarantees. But I'd be willing to defend that as the most likely outcome.

Michael