Why Boomers suck, or, commodify your self-loathing

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Mon Aug 6 10:48:30 PDT 2001

Ian Murray wrote:

>This could be due to the notion common among young people that the
>Gov. is a badly run $1.8 trillion corporation that co-ordinates the
>transfer of wealth for rich folks and their corporations while
>treating the rest of us like 12 year olds and, well, proletarians.

And this is a view uncommon among boomers?

> Now
>the boomers are worried about social security--go figure-

It seems more salient as an issue as you approach 50 than when you're merely approaching 30.

> while the
>Feds spend $7 on seniors for every $1 they spend on kids and youth

Is this drawn from the Mike Males generational warfare playbook? What is the point of a comparison like this, if not to imply that we "overspend" on seniors? Social Security is one of the few aspects of the U.S. welfare state that isn't a total disgrace, and Medicare's pretty good too. Should we bring that $7 down to $5 just for generational equity?

As I recall, Frank Luntz's famous survey, in which he found more Gen Xers believing in UFOs than in their ever getting a SS check, also found they *wanted* SS to remain intact, though Luntz never bothered to report that.

> [we
>won't go into whether that includes enforcing the drug laws etc.] at
>the same time they refuse to acknowledge that the Gov. has investment
>policies, technology policies, housing policies, moral indoctrination
>policies, the list goes on, that act in contradictory ways that let
>libertarians have a field day.

I'm not sure who the target of this is - boomers? X'ers? Y'ers? A-double-primers?

Doug