Beeson & Singer/ prenatal diagnosis

kwalker2 at gte.net kwalker2 at gte.net
Mon Aug 6 11:49:36 PDT 2001

all reasons for aborting are socially constituted. your argument, however, IS used by the right all the time. where you are outraged that a couple would abort a down syndrome baby, etc., they are outraged that a couple would abort any baby.

my mother kept her pregnancy with me a secret. she was afraid my grandfather would kill the guy. she wasn't married; he was (i have nine half bros and sisters). she was poor. everyone worked. gramps was always getting laid off from factories that were always closing. gram was the one who kept a steady job at "the shop" (factory).

mom was working three jobs already during her pregnancy, so she could afford tuition at the local Central City Tech to become a beautician, as they used to call them. she considered an abortion. only one friend knew that she was expecting; she didn't know where to begin to make arrangements. didn't work out. so then she drove to the "big city" with her friend and my mom looked into adoption. she changed her mind at the last minute. i was born in mid-September. that's how afraid of my gramps and social judgment my mother was. seriously. she was petrified.

my mom finally told everyone that she was expecting on labor day. i was born a couple of weeks later.

of course, my mother discovered that there was a well-established set of practices for dealing with the situation and my mother learned just who else in the family and the town had been through the same or similar situations. everyone pitched in and helped. my baby carrier was a wicker laundry basket and my cradle was a dresser drawer. my mother worked and my aunt, her younger sister, took care of me during the day, colicky bundle of wails that i was. my grandma looked after me when she got home from "the shop".

yeah, mom's career as a beautician was dashed. by me.

on your argument, my mother's fears and concerns and, yes, self-fucking-interest are to be dismissed because all of the reasons she might point to are 'socially constituted'.

i don't blame my mother for considering aborting me or putting me up for adoption. not at all.

we even once did a pro-abortion ad together, in the local paper, to counter the idiocy of the pro-life brigade.

kelley