Beeson & Singer/ prenatal diagnosis

Marta Russell ap888 at lafn.org
Mon Aug 6 14:10:11 PDT 2001

kwalker2 at gte.net wrote:

> all reasons for aborting are socially constituted. your argument, however,
> IS used by the right all the time. where you are outraged that a couple
> would abort a down syndrome baby, etc., they are outraged that a couple
> would abort any baby.

This is not the same at all. I am not morally outraged. The right comes from a position of morality. My position is the social injustice of it all. That is not the same at all though I can tell from your posts that you sure would like it to be. You keep harping on the two being the same. They aren't. Just like Deeson's arguments are not pro-life either.

My mother had German measles in her first trimester. She did not abort me. Am I glad, well certainly I am and I do have an impairment from birth - maybe that was the cause. My father is a farmer and they didn't have much money either. They were only 21 years old.

You write:
> yeah, mom's career as a beautician was dashed. by me.

You sound like you feel guilt over your mother's not having aborted you. Like you were a burden. My family never made me feel like a burden and perhaps that is why I can so strongly be whole today.

Marta