Zionism vs. Black Nationalism

Max Sawicky sawicky at bellatlantic.net
Mon Aug 6 21:29:09 PDT 2001

Fuck if I know.

I think you have to focus on class interests w/respect to basic standard of living -- employment, social insurance, labor rights.

I do not think that religion is such an important filter. Some yes, some no. Nor do I think individual identification with something other than class is the bugaboo.

I think two of the most underrated factors are lack of intellectual self-confidence and a feeling of personal moral authority.

mbs

======= Well, how can we tell whether in the course of ongoing social dialogue, that when we assert that race is instrumental in obfuscating class, that when success at that task is accomplished folks won't see class composition as rather heterogeneous [interests, preferences etc.]? And what do we say to those who are unapologetic individualists who see their identities connected to, say, religion or an enthusiam for athletics, or some such that has nothing to do with themselves as workers? Any union organizer can tell you that the most 'troublesome' workers to to engage are those who in one way or another are devoutly religious. How to overcome these obstacles?

Ian