The TimeWork Web restored

Tom Walker timework at vcn.bc.ca
Mon Aug 6 22:34:52 PDT 2001

Last week the server that hosts my TimeWork Web crashed its hard drive and deleted the web files. I restored the website today and gave it a minor facelift. The TimeWork Web has been online since June 1995 as a repository of narrative analysis on working time.

http://www.vcn.bc.ca/timework/worksite.htm

TEASER: Match the following sources and quotes

A. "Wealth is liberty -- liberty to seek recreation -- liberty to enjoy life -- liberty to improve the mind: it is disposable time, and nothing more."

B. "The limitation of the working day is a preliminary condition without which all further attempts at improvement and emancipation must prove abortive."

C. "On the side of the working population there can be no question respecting the desirability of fewer hours, from every standpoint."

D. "The general conclusion is manifest that progress may be expected to be accompanied by a progressive curtailment of the working day."

1. The International Congress of Working Men 2. The classical (marginalist) statement of the theory of hours of labor 3. Anonymous 1821 pamphleteer 4. Report of a U.S. congressional commission on labor

(Answer at http://www.vcn.bc.ca/timework/worksite.htm)

Tom Walker Bowen Island, BC 604 947 2213