Beeson & Singer/prenatal diagnosis

Chuck Grimes cgrimes at tsoft.com
Wed Aug 8 02:11:09 PDT 2001

``...And so on. Since there are so many ways in which individual parents, as well as society in general, seek to reduce the risks of impairments of fetuses _even before they are conceived_, it appears odd to single out pre-natal screening as the main problem, unless you have a problem with abortion.'' Yoshie

No I don't any problem with abortions. I didn't single out pre-screening. It was merely the only example considered at that particular point in the thread.

A lot of this overly controlling pre-natal medical jive was already available in some form or other when me and the ex were deciding on the big issue and we decided to ignore all of it---that is do none of it, except the most routine pre-natal visits. We had to spell out our position to her gynocologist in advance. Do nothing. If in serious doubt save mom, period.

We both were working in disability organizations and realized all of the so-called reducing risk medical recommendations were ultimately obnoxious and controlling. There was even a certain kind of bad vibe coming off disabled friends who couldn't have children that had to be ignored.

Having children is risky, period. In our context it was almost an anti-social act.

It provided an insight into society's controlling mechanisms. Just about every social institution creep in the world wants to assert its right to control the manner, means, and production of children, and how they turn out---and the medical profession is front and center on this. The fact is you have very few rights that adhere to your relationship with your children, especially if you're Dad. I used to take squirt in for his pediatrician appointments, and make the guy talk to me like I was a `real' parent, i.e. Mom. Same thing in elementary school.

So, actually in my mind the primary problem is resisting these all these so-called helpful hints which are really just some bogus social control system on how to go about doing life and reproducing life. Disability in this context only highlights the confluence of these social control systems. And this was one of the primary lessons we both learned from working in disability organizations.

I don't intend to sound so hostile. But these are still sore points. My best friend is involved in a very ugly custody battle with his ex-wife who is using his blindness as the reason to limit his custody with his children. And my kid ended up as a doctor, of all things.

Chuck Grimes