eco-optimism -- give me a damn break!

Chris Kromm ckromm at mindspring.com
Wed Aug 8 06:37:27 PDT 2001

From: Doug Henwood
> Though I wouldn't go all the way with him, I think James Heartfield
> (and his former comrades in LM) have a point when they argue that
> environmentalism appeals to an upper class contempt for the workers,
> and fits nicely with financiers' taste for austerity.

James Heartfield is able to blather such nonsense -- with other LBOers wagging their heads in approval -- because they haven't spent any time in the trenches with the environmental justice movement, lead by working class African Americans and Latinos, especially in the South. 2002 will mark 10 years since the first People of Color Environmental Justice Summit, and 20 years since the famous Warren County, North Carolina, uprising in a poor black community against a PCB dump, which many herald as the birth of the environmental justice movement. It has been a truly phenomenal movement, especially for its ability, as many key Southern progressives have noted, to cross the race line in Southern communities.

Working folks care very much about whether they can breathe the air without getting sick and drink water without getting cancer. A lot of 'em even like to go on hikes in national parks! Despite the best efforts of the LBO set to find reasons to divide the environmental, community and worker movements from each other, in the real world they will continue to find their objective common interests, and organize.

Chris