eco-optimism -- give me a damn break!

Dennis dperrin13 at mediaone.net
Wed Aug 8 07:05:32 PDT 2001

> From: Doug Henwood
> > Though I wouldn't go all the way with him, I think James Heartfield
> > (and his former comrades in LM) have a point when they argue that
> > environmentalism appeals to an upper class contempt for the workers,
> > and fits nicely with financiers' taste for austerity.

This reminds me of the Marxist putdown of environmentalism in the 70s (can't remember which grouping or paper -- SWP? WV?), where the "hippie capitalists" were more concerned with "oily birds" than with the lives of workers in the nuclear power and oil industries. I believe the CP was pro-nuke, as were other commie sectarians. Again, specific party IDs escape me (it was all so very long ago . . . ).

> the first People of Color Environmental Justice Summit --

Hate to nitpick, but is the left still going with the above labeling? This slight variation of Colored People seems ridiculous to me (what's the joke -- Jeans of Blue?), especially since all people have color. A minor point, but one that nags.

DP