Human cloning

Luke Weiger lweiger at umich.edu
Wed Aug 8 17:33:48 PDT 2001

> Genetic diversity is evolutionarty strength, genetic sameness -
> evolutionary weakness. So the cloning of, say, Homo Americanus >
Armanirolexicus (I doubt others can afford it) may produce a
> breed that can be wiped out by, say, a new virus to which
> other humans are immune. I would love to see the upper classes
> doing themselves in is such a way.
>
> wojtek

Actually, if/when it gets to the point that parents will be able to pre-select traits for their offspring, it's absolutely essential that the technology be made available to all (I know that sounds naive). I for one am looking forward to the end of the genetic lottery and the beginning of genetic parity. Equal (or merely similar) endowments would place the blame for inequality of outcomes where it belongs--on society.

-- Luke