Human cloning

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Wed Aug 8 12:47:38 PDT 2001

At 09:52 AM 8/8/01 -0700, joanna b. wrote:
>At 11:23 AM 08/08/2001 -0400, you wrote:
>>Will human clones dream of Molly? I mean the more I think on this, the
>>more human clones sound like the ultimate commodity of all time. Sell
>>the same people to themselves over and over.
>
>While I can see how human cloning will test the limits of human vanity and
>greed, I don't quite understand the ethical objections. This might be
>because I am totally ignorant about genetics.
>
>How is a clone different from an identical twin? Why would a clone
>necessarily have fewer rights than any other begotten human?

That may not be actually such a bad thing, after all. Genetic diversity is evolutionarty strength, genetic sameness - evolutionary weakness. So the cloning of, say, Homo Americanus Armanirolexicus (I doubt others can afford it) may produce a breed that can be wiped out by, say, a new virus to which other humans are immune. I would love to see the upper classes doing themselves in is such a way.

wojtek