lbo-talk-digest V1 #4706

Luke Weiger lweiger at umich.edu
Wed Aug 8 18:46:06 PDT 2001

> Oh come on. One doesn't need excuses to bash the U.S. and its
> various client states; all you have to do is open a decent
> newspaper, and you've got a score of reasons. It is preposterous > to
trust the U.S. to rescue any oppressed or abused population - it > does what's in its imperial interest, often behind a lot of
> humanitarian rhetoric.

I don't consider it to be a priori preposterous. This will certainly sound quite naive (indeed, "preposterous") to many here, but your allusion to the US doing "what's in its imperial interest" seems to be more applicable to the Kissengeresque realism of the far-right than the liberal interventionism espoused by Madeline Albright.

> As far as cheap shots go, there are few cheaper than to say that
> opponents of the U.S./NATO fly-by in Yugoslavia lack your
> exquisite sensitivity to the plight of the Muslims of the region.
>
> Doug

Your allusion to my "exquisite sensitivity" is itself a cheap shot (albeit an excellent one). Many on the left (including, I'm guessing, yourself) didn't downplay the scope of the atrocities in the former Yugoslavia. However, I'm troubled when Z Magazine prints articles touting Milosevic as a good democrat.

-- Luke