lbo-talk-digest V1 #4706

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Wed Aug 8 15:27:10 PDT 2001

Luke Weiger wrote:

> > So by all means let's trust Israel's philanthropist and arms
>> merchant, the U.S. (a country already well known for its warm
>> feelings towards Muslims), to do right by them.
>>
>> Doug
>
>So it appears, to at least as great a degree as any genuine concern for the
>plight of the Palestinians, what we really ought to care about is the
>opportunity to bash the capitalist seat of world evil (the US) and its
>heavily subsidized satellite state (Israel). On second thought, we really
>ought to hope that the conflict in the Middle East drags on for another
>half-century. Think of all the vituperative verbal shots (most of them as
>consequential as blanks) we could fire off in that time period.

Oh come on. One doesn't need excuses to bash the U.S. and its various client states; all you have to do is open a decent newspaper, and you've got a score of reasons. It is preposterous to trust the U.S. to rescue any oppressed or abused population - it does what's in its imperial interest, often behind a lot of humanitarian rhetoric.

As far as cheap shots go, there are few cheaper than to say that opponents of the U.S./NATO fly-by in Yugoslavia lack your exquisite sensitivity to the plight of the Muslims of the region.

Doug