Palestinians and Kosovars (Re: lbo-talk-digest V1 #4706

Nathan Newman nathan at newman.org
Wed Aug 8 15:43:54 PDT 2001

---- Original Message ----- From: "Luke Weiger" <lweiger at umich.edu>
>Excuse me, but are Nathan and myself the only people on this list to notice
>the barbaric treatment of Muslims (first in Bosnia, then in Kosovo) by the
>Serbs is at least equivalent to the subjugation of Palestinians at the
hands
>of the Israelis?
>-- Luke

Chomsky once noted the hypocrisy of the West in highlighting the mass murder in Cambodia, while ignoring the similar scale of oppression that occurred in East Timor, purely because Western elites had favored alliances with one set of oppressors.

In the case of Kosovo and Israel, some sections of the Left merely enact the mirror image of the hypocrisy that Chomsky noted-- they ignore and downplay the subjugation and mass murder of the Kosovars at the hands of the Serbs while highlighting the oppression of the Palestinians by the Israelis. (Note recent reports as Kosovar bodies have been unearthed in Serbia proper, as it turns out that the Serbs did conceal mass murder during the war.)

Before the NATO intervention, a lot of folks on this list noted that "only" 2000 Kosovars had died in the year preceding the war, a minimal number not justifying international action against the Serbs. The deaths in Palestine have not reached that number yet this past year, in a far larger population, but I would agree that international action is called for against Israel.

At the time, many leftists said that independence for Kosovo was an unwarranted solution after the war and that the fact that Serbs settled in the region felt the need to evacuate showed the injustice. Of course, any independence for Palestine will require a similar evacuation-- any other assumption is laughable.

Any assertion that the Serbs had some greater historic "right" to Kosovo than the Jews do in Israel is also ridiculous given the millenium of invasions, population displacements, and mass murder that characterize the Balkans.

Those on the left who justify oppression based on the fact that the victims have made the midjudgement to pick oppressors with good anti-imperialist credentials just replicate the moral vacuum of the global capitalist elite.

-- Nathan Newman