Beeson & Singer/ prenatal diagnosis

Rob Schaap rws at comedu.canberra.edu.au
Wed Aug 8 17:52:27 PDT 2001

Some beaut posts, Ken.

I think Marta is, like all of us, prone to group think at times. I think Singer a good man and an impressive philosopher, but there's certainly a group response to the man afoot in the US, who represent his views very poorly indeed, to my mind (why not actually read him - I mean, the bloke is a very readable writer), I agree that Marta's position on abortion and euthanasia just don't add up, and I think the Netherlands has a better health system, more manifest respect for human life, and a healthier attitude to the inevitable than America does. So calling it the 'New Killing Fields' is absolutely scandalous

Marta writes:

>Who the fuck is Peter Singer to tell me anything?

Well, he's telling you what he reckons. He's not speaking for anyone. That's the public intellectual's role, I reckon. Have a good think, and put your thoughts out there. Nothing arrogant about it. In fact, I think Marta comes closer to presuming to speak for and at others than Peter does.

Sorry Marta, Rob.