eco-optimism

Ian Murray seamus2001 at home.com
Thu Aug 9 17:51:19 PDT 2001

<seamus2001 at home.com> writes

======== Well it's unfortunate that occurs but conjectural is a rather wide term. I mean, quantum theory-the best physics we got-is conjectural, and with further reasearch into theories of computation and topology etc. may undergo revisions, nevertheless we get a hell of a lot good and bad stuff from it. So, modeling atmospheric dynamics with computers and doing paleoclimatology should keep on being done and the peer review process needs to be as robust as we can make it lest deception creep gets out of hand. Big Science, too, still hasn't shed it's cold war skin, with all it's anxieties, phobias etc.

======== Well that definitely seems to be true but the response needs to be better analysis, explanations, persuasive rhetoric etc. The paradoxes of valuation are all too familiar to those of us on the left [saii]; also not everyone on the left buys the religion as alienation thesis and antagonizing them is counterproductive. The US citizenry [pardon my generalization here] seems to enjoy it's existential anxiety so religiosity isn't going away anytime soon. To show us [them] we can have wonder, beauty, a sense of purpose and hope and altruism and kindness without the secular/sacred dyad is gonna take a lot of work. Non-theistic or post-theistic world views always run into the 'proving a negative' problem; hence a tolerance for pluralism seems to be the sensible 'solution' for now.

> More than that, the outlook that collapses the contrasting views of
> historical materialism on the one hand and capitalist growth on the
> other, is the outlook of the embittered petit bourgeois, who feels
that
> both classes are closing in on him. This is the guy that signed up
for
> Hitler, Poujade and Huey Long.
>
> --
> James Heartfield