Wing-Nut Site

Max Sawicky sawicky at bellatlantic.net
Fri Aug 10 05:56:35 PDT 2001

-----Original Message----- From: owner-lbo-talk at lists.panix.com [mailto:owner-lbo-talk at lists.panix.com]On Behalf Of Peter K. Sent: Friday, August 10, 2001 12:30 AM but seriously, I'm not familiar with Lind's argument. I would guess it's a fundamental one and I'm not sure how it goes. But from what I can remember it's simple and nauseating: the workers we have now are skilled enough, there's more than enough work to go around and all immigration is a suck on the welfare roles and public purse. How anyone can lend this argument any credence is beyond me. Peter

The welfare/public argument has been debunked by economists. Immigrants are net contributors to the fisc, if you want to go there.

His main argument is that immigration policy is used by Capital to degrade labor standards. I think this is hard to refute. How one responds is another matter.

mbs