Conscious Social Reproduction (Re: lbo-talk-digest V1 #4729)

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Mon Aug 13 12:02:19 PDT 2001

Ian says:

> > The logic of capitalism has & will continue to move us (from markets)
>> into the direction of The Market that has the power to discipline us
>> all, though there have been short-term reversals in the long-term
>> process of integration.
>=======
>My point was that for purposes of mobilizing for collective action,
>the insitutions that make market[s] are actual targets [the forest and
>trees gestalt].

You mean such institutions as the WB & the IMF, multinational corporations, etc.? Why not the U.S. government, the preeminent institution that keeps The Market going? Why not make it the main target?

>Using capital letters for market is like letting the
>democratic party appropriate Democrat. Oh and isn't it the illogic of
>capitalism we're struggling against? :-)

Various markets existed independently of one another prior to the rise of capitalism, but they have since become radically transformed & increasingly integrated into One Big Market aka socialization of production. Is your proposal one for de-linking a la Samir Amin?

> > I'm not against the above, but consumer & trade union activisms are
>> powerless when & where goods & jobs are so scarce that consumers &
>> workers are not in a position to quibble about their quality.
>> Greater voices of citizens for better products, safer &
>> environmentally friendlier labor processes, etc. come up against the
>> limits placed by the fact that capitalists don't invest unless &
>> until expected returns on investment are promising.
>>
>> Yoshie
>======
>That's why the credit markets are the first markets that have to be
>retheorized and replaced.

How?

Yoshie