Conscious Social Reproduction (Re: lbo-talk-digest V1 #4729)

Ian Murray seamus2001 at home.com
Mon Aug 13 17:31:15 PDT 2001

> I always tell my students that global management is best understood
by (1)
> taking all the American books ever written on the subject (you'll
need a
> truck, lemme tell you), (2) stuffing them in the recycle bin, and
(3)
> reading Taichi Ohno's "The Toyota Production System" in detail.
Great
> stuff every radical should know -- production cells, line smoothing,
> balancing of demand, pull-systems, etc. It's the way supermarkets
are
> run, incidentally; it's just that Japan and Central Europe were the
first
> to apply the principle to factories.
>
> -- Dennis
============== [Of course the corps. listed on this page never waste anything and certainly don't pollute!]

[From the Univ. of Michigan College of Engineering/ Center for Professional Development]

Lean Manufacturing Program Lean manufacturing is emerging as the manufacturing paradigm across many industries. "Lean manufacturing" is a term coined in The Machine that Changed the World, based largely on observations of the Toyota Production System. The focus at Toyota according to Taiichi Ohno, was the absolute elimination of waste where waste is anything that prevents the value-added flow of material from raw material to finished goods. Furthermore, the overproduction of materials at any state-producing in large batches more than what is needed by the next operation or final customer-is a fundamental waste. As companies implement lean manufacturing in America, there are many variations on the central theme, but there is general agreement on a number of key principles:

The batch-and-queue mode of operation, which encourages large-batch processing and focuses on the efficiency of individual machines and workers, is an outdated paradigm. Lean manufacturing, which views continuous, one-piece flow as the ideal and emphasizes optimizing and integrating systems of people, machines, materials, and facilities, can lead to significant improvements in quality, cost, on-time delivery, and performance. Lean manufacturing is a fundamental transformation of an enterprise and needs to be approached as a total organizational and cultural transformation.

There are many tools available to help support the ideal of continuous flow. The tools include quick changeover methods, mistake proofing, workplace organization, standardization and total productive maintenance, but these are just tools. The overarching goal is to create a value-added flow in order to provide customers what they want when they want it.

The courses offered through the Center for Professional Development in partnership with the Japan Technology Management Program include the philosophy of lean (as exemplified by the Toyota Production System), training workshops on specific lean tools and methods, and courses that analyze and build on the principles of lean from an engineering perspective. In addition to the general public offerings in this catalog, we are pleased to create customized courses that suit your particular needs offered just for your organization.

Certification: Participants may pursue a noncredit certificate of completion by successfully completing a core set of Lean Manufacturing Program short courses across the various categories. Students are required to complete a total of ten days of courses. An exam will be administered for each course and a passing grade is required.

Program Options Individual Courses Participants may register for all of the lean short courses and other programs offered through the Center for Professional Development. For individuals with limited experience in lean manufacturing it is recommended that you complete the Overview of Lean Manufacturing course. Students may substitute overview of Lean with another 1-day course by successfully completing an exam. Continuing Education Units (CEUs) are available for each individual course.

Certification Participants may pursue a non-credit certificate of completion by successfully completing a core set of Lean Manufacturing Program short courses across the various categories. Students are required to complete a total of ten days of courses. An exam will be administered for each course and a passing grade is required.

Overview of Lean: 1 day Lean System Design: 3 days Supporting Lean Tools and Methods: 2 days Leadership and Team Management Tools & Methods: 2 days Electives: 2 days (from categories II-IV)

Customized Programs CPD responds to the needs of the engineering, technical and management communities by providing contract customized training and educational services to industry, government, military, and not-for-profit organizations. Whether an organization is seeking to update employee skills, sharpen the skills of managers, or keep pace with use of the latest technology and research, CPD responds by linking employers to the world-renowned faculty of the University of Michigan College of Engineering. Faculty will assist you in developing a Lean Manufacturing Program that focuses on your organization's unique needs and requirements.

Lean Manufacturing Program Schedule Lean program courses are scheduled four times a year, and various locations through Michigan and the southeastern United States. Click here for schedule of all courses, or select a location below to view complete program offerings.

738 Courtyard Ann Arbor, MI: 9/17/2001 747 Orlando, FL: 12/3/2001

Organizations Sponsoring Participants: Boeing Corporation

Mark IV Automotive

DaimlerChrysler Corporation

Moog Aerospace

Eaton Corporation