Palestinians and Kosovars

Seth Ackerman sackerman at FAIR.org
Tue Aug 14 11:35:06 PDT 2001

Luke Weiger wrote of W's support for the Kosovo war:

> Notice that Bush's reasoning basically seems to rest on the fact that,
> since other NATO countries wanted to intervene, we ought to go along for
> the ride.
. That's not exactly what Bush said. He said he supported the bombing because it was important for U.S. relations with NATO. That's exactly the same reason that Clinton supported the bombing. As one of his foreign policy advisors told the Washington Post the day the bombing started...

["there are massive bloodbaths all over the world and we're not intervening in them." The difference, the adviser said, is that "this one's in the heart of Europe. I'd argue that the alliance itself is at risk because if it's unable to address a major threat within Europe, it really loses its reason for being."]

And it goes without saying that the only way a military body like NATO can "address" a problem like Kosovo is with cruise missiles. Otherwise it "loses its reason for being."

Are we forgetting the many *enthusiastic* supporters of the war on the Right? Jeanne Kirkpatrick, Bob Dole, William Kristol, Robert Bartley, Caspar Weinberger... These people are all humanitarians, I gather?

Seth