Lay off men - Lessing

Chris Burford cburford at gn.apc.org
Tue Aug 14 16:06:24 PDT 2001

Even in the silly season when newspapers are short of news, it is remarkable for a national daily newspaper to have as its main story a statement by a writer. But perhaps we English are becoming more genuinely cultured. Perhaps it is genuinely out of respect for a remarkably courageous and honest writer (as an experiment she deprived herself of sleep until she started hallucinating).

Perhaps it will be misrepresented as proof that feminism was all wrong. Nevertheless it is an important corrective to a purely ideological battle that divides men and women when there should be a framework of cooperation against a common enemy.

But these statements matter. Like that of Guenter Grass against globalisation. I just did not think we English knew that, even those who read the Guardian.

http://books.guardian.co.uk/edinburghbookfestival2001/story/0,1061,536568,00.html

I am surprised she claims that women have largely won the battle of opportunity and equality of wages, but need more help with childcare. I thought in the UK the average salary for women remained at about 2/3 to 3/4 that of comparable men, and that men continue to dominate the higher level of certain jobs.

I thought that the process of the sale of labour power inevitably discriminated against women, who bear children for a crucial period in their careers, even though the economy is becoming more flexible and open to part time or flexible hours, which may suit women more. I am not sure quite what Lessing is arguing for: positive tax credits for having and rearing children would be socially progressive and would be a step to underming the labour market as purely one in which people sell their labour power to the capitalist or capitalist type economic enterprises for the best possible price.

Chris Burford

London