WB on its critics

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sun Aug 19 21:43:16 PDT 2001

David Hearne wrote:

>Curiously enough, isn't it the perceived "cosmopolitanism" and
>"cultural cross-pollination" (real or not) which partially drives
>right-wingers like Pat Buchanan against NAFTA?

Absolutely. He's written lurid stuff about Haitans playing the drums on the streets of his hometown, Washington. His pals at Chronicles write about all the animists and primitives invading our shores. This is what the paranoia about Mexican trucks is all about.

On cross-pollination: At an opening at the aboriginal arts center in Adelaide, Australia, a couple of weeks ago, we heard an aboriginal man playing guitar with a karaoke-style tape in the instrumental background singing "Okie from Muskogee." Aborigines love American country music.

Doug